We are leaders who value diversity, and we empower lifelong learners who actively and positively contribute to our school, our community and our world.
Fort Vancouver High School Center for International Studies graduates are globally aware and engaged citizens who are college-, career- and life-ready.
Vancouver High School, the city’s first, was established in 1888, and VHS was one of only six high schools when Washington was admitted into the union in 1889. The inaugural VHS senior class of 12 students graduated in 1891.
The high school had two different homes prior to a June 17, 1911, special election that approved a purchase of a site for a new high school on the southwest corner of 26th and Main streets. The public approved a bond measure for $100,000 to construct the school.
The doors to the new Vancouver High School opened in time for the 1912-13 school year, and the school graduated 44 students that spring.
The community approved another bond in 1933 for an addition to the high school, which was completed in 1935 and consisted of an auditorium with seating capacity for 1,700, a gymnasium, a cafeteria and eight more classrooms.
In 1955, the last class graduated from Vancouver High School. The student body divided, with one half moving to the new Hudson’s Bay High School, which opened its doors in 1956. The other half remained in the 1912 building, which became Fort Vancouver High School.
In 1968, two fires damaged the auditorium. By that time, there were discussions of building a new high school, as many areas were unsafe.
After much debate, the district decided to abandon the old building and build a new school on its present-day site on East 18th Street. The new school opened in 1970 and was dedicated in April 1971.
The school was remodeled to today’s building in 1998.
More recent history
Fall 1993 — Fort Vancouver High School implements 80-minute block classes.
Spring 1995 — Fort Vancouver High School’s Mock Trial team places first in the state and 19th in the nation.
March 22-24, 1996 — Fort Vancouver High School’s Mock Trial Team renews its state champion title and travels to the National Mock Trial competition.
2010 — Ken Roberts is named the Teacher of the Year for the Educational Service District 112 region.
Fall 2013 — The school’s Family-Community Resource Center opens, and it receives a $50,000 grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to help the school focus on attendance.