Excused absences and tardies are time spent out of school for:
- Illness, health conditions or health care appointments
- Family emergencies
- Participation in school-approved activities
- Disciplinary action or short-term suspensions
- Observance of religious holidays or cultural activities
- Deployment activities of an active-duty military parent or guardian
- Other absences as permitted by state law
Documentation may be required to excuse a tardy or an absence of any length. Absences of more than five days in a month require a note from a doctor or medical provider in order to be considered excused.
Prearranged absences and tardies should be coordinated through the attendance office before the student will miss or be late for school. Students who have prearranged absences or tardies should request work from their teachers in advance of the absence and arrange to make up the work they cannot take with them.